Monday, October 4, 2010

First Day of Our Washington Trip

WARNING:  You may want to bypass this post if you're not a Twilight fan.  :)
Matt planned a whole trip for just the two of us as a birthday gift.  I was so impressed that he would put aside his dislike for Twilight and plan a trip to Forks, WA.  He knows that I've wanted to go there for a while now and I am a self-admitted Twilight fan.  He even took care of the babysitting for the kids and his parents came into town to help us out. 
We finally arrived in Seattle around 1:00pm, after a few delays with both of our airplanes trying to get there. 
We were assigned a Toyota Camry for our rental car and Matt was not going to have that so he talked them into letting us take a Camaro instead because he's a preferred customer.
 (This will be his favorite part of the vacation!) 
 I was excited about the car too but I was mostly excited to have some time with my husband and NO KIDS!  :) 
 Here we are waiting in line for the Edmonds-Kingston Ferry just outside of Seattle. 
We're not even to Forks yet and we found Edward Cullen!  Amazing!  :) 
 Matt had never been on a ferry before so that was kind of a neat experience. 
 It was a GORGEOUS day and the ocean was so beautiful! 
It was nice to sit out on the deck and feel the wind and sunshine. 
 It was also really pretty because there were beautiful wooded coastlines all around the sound. 
 After about 35 minutes we could see Kingston. 
This is where the ferry pulled in and it was like entering a different world. 
 It was as if we almost stepped back in time to the quaint little coastal villages and private tree-lined streets.
  You can see me in the mirror with my camera in hand and that's pretty much what I looked like during the entire drive!
As we were driving to Forks, I noticed that Alice was right behind us in her little yellow Porsche.  Talk about perfect timing!  :) 
 Port Angeles and Forks were quite a few miles apart which I didn't realize. 
 We drove through Port Angeles first and it's right on the ocean. 
 As we got into town we saw a sign directing us straight to Forks. 
 There is the beautiful Lake Crescent right between Port Angeles and Forks. 
The road winding around it is so beautiful and Matt loved taking the curves in his sports car. 
 I loved taking in all the scenery. 
Our friend Cydnee had suggested that we stop and visit Marymere Falls while we were at Lake Crescent. 
We pulled into the parking area and this baby deer was right next to our car eating some grass.  Watch out little deer because Edward hunted one of you right in to opening scene of Twilight...  ha ha. :) 
 Matt and I couldn't get over how beautiful the mountains and trees were. 
 These mossy trees proved that we were getting closer to Twilight territory. 
 I loved everything - except the spiders! 
You had to go through a tunnel underneath the highway to get over to the trail for Marymere Falls. 
 It was a very short but very beautiful hike. 
The trees seemed like they went up forever! 
 It hadn't really been raining but you could hear water everywhere in the forest, and not just from the river. 
There were all sorts of cool little bridges leading us to the falls. 
This one was made out of a huge tree trunk.
 I was so glad that we had the time to stop because it was so beautiful. 
We just took the time to take in nature's beauty which doesn't happen often enough with our busy lives. 
 We got into Forks right at "twilight" - I know, crazy huh!  It also started to rain right as we pulled into town which was very fitting.  The town is tiny and so adorable.  This was the sign in front of our motel, the Dew Drop Inn - which was small and quaint but the biggest place in Forks. 
Matt had planned this trip perfectly and even got us the "Bella Suite". 
 It was so much fun because the whole room was decorated in the theme of Stephenie Meyer's books: 
 Twilight 
 New Moon 
 Eclipse 
 and Breaking Dawn 
 They even brought us sparkling cider and chocolates. 
 My favorite part was the shirt. 
 "I spent my twilight in Bella's Suite".   
This is my interpretation of the cover of "Twilight".  I couldn't resist trying it when I saw the apples.  :)
 After getting settled we went across the street for some dinner where I ordered "Carlisle's Veggie Pizza" and it was delicious.  :) 
Tomorrow is the Twilight tour and I'm so excited that I'm sure I won't get any sleep tonight!

0 comments: