Abi's school had a Structure Fair this year for the 3rd-5th grade students. All of the kids were required to come up with a structure to research and build for this fair and they were given 3 weeks to complete it. Abi quickly chose the Tower of Terror ride at Disneyland and there was no changing her mind once it was made up.
She researched most of it herself and had her pictures and everything ready to go within the first couple of days. Building it was a whole different story because she needed my help and I was alone with all the kids every day and the time just seemed to fly out the window.
It finally got down to the last few days before the fair and I cleared my whole schedule so I could just get this thing built with her. It was a bit of a challenge but it was also a bunch of fun.
Abi wanted functioning elevators in the tower so I did my best to do that for her and they actually turned out well. You just pull the string on top to have the elevators come up and then you let go and they drop! (Can you see the people in the elevator in the middle shaft?)
She did all of the painting and assembling of information herself. I helped her carry it into school and then a couple days later they had the actual fair when all the student and parents could walk through and see everything.
There were TONS of great projects but Abi was ecstatic to find out that she got 3rd place!
She had a huge smile just beaming from ear to ear throughout the entire fair. She loved watching everyone play with her working elevators and one of the judges said that the elevators sealed the deal for their decision. :)
She wrote a wonderful essay paper on her structure and had lots of great facts and information for her board. This Tower of Terror is still currently sitting in our family room because she's so proud of it. (I'm afraid it's going to be here forever!) :)








0 comments:
Post a Comment