Friday, March 9, 2012

Kitchen Make Over

We have been looking at getting a back splash for our kitchen since I painted a while back but it was quite expensive for the tile we wanted so we knew we would have to start saving.  Well, we walked into Costco one afternoon and they had boxes of the EXACT tile we wanted at more than 50% less than we were saving for!  We hurried and grabbed several boxes and were thrilled to be saving a few hundred dollars!  Our bishop had also picked up the same tile from Costco and finished his kitchen - luckily, because he had a couple spare boxes of tile which we desperately needed because Costco sold out of it within that same day and we needed a bit more than we purchased.  (Because we extended the tile above the cabinetry which we had not originally planned on because of the price.)  We hired a couple great tile guys and here are some pictures of the finished product: 
 The window area BEFORE.
 The window area AFTER.
 The fridge area BEFORE.
 The fridge area AFTER.
 Here's the whole kitchen BEFORE.
 The whole kitchen AFTER.  (You'll notice that we moved the garbage - it's an automatic opening one and it was opening every time we walked past it!  ha ha)
 The tile guys did some great work around the crown molding on the cabinets.  (This is why we hired someone to do it!)  We're getting some plantation shutters to put in the window eventually but that's a project for another time. 
 Here's a close-up of our beautiful tile.  It's a mosaic of glass, ceramic, stone, & marble.  I did some revamping on our outlet plates in the kitchen.  The white just looked a bit cheap once the tile was up.
 We put some stone inside the window too.  Before it was just painted and we wanted to have something more solid by the sink.
 A couple days later I decided to add one more thing to spruce up our kitchen...  do you see the change?
I went through and added some wooden finials to the bottoms of the cabinets to give the kitchen more of a custom look.  I love how they turned out!
To think that it all started when I painted the pantry door.  :)  

3 comments:

Boyers said...

Gorgeous!!! I LOVE your kitchen! It's beautiful!! Lucky girl!!

John and Suzi said...

It looks fantastic!

Katie said...

Looks Awesome Julie. Love that it goes all the way to the ceiling!